Representative of the Department on the Research and Management Committee of the Special Account for Research Funds (ELKE)
Office 102, Building A
University of Western Macedonia
Communication and Digital Media Department
Dr. Michalis Vrigkas is an Assistant Professor at the University of Western Macedonia at the Department of Communication and Digital Media, Kastoria, Greece. He received his Ph.D. from the Department of Computer Science & Engineering, University of Ioannina, Greece, and his M.Sc. and B.Sc. in Computer Science from the same institution.
For the Academic year 2018-2019, he was an Adjunct Lecturer at the Department of Computer Science & Engineering, University of Ioannina. In the past (2016-2018), he has spent two years at the University of Houston, TX, USA where he worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Computational Biomedicine Lab and the Texas Institute for Measurement, Evaluation & Statistics.
He has participated in several EU and National funded ICT research projects, while in recognition of the contribution made to the quality of several international journals, he has received twice the award of Outstanding Reviewer. He is the recipient of the Best Paper award at the IAPR/IEEE International Conference on Biometrics (ICB) in June 2016. Also, NVIDIA
Corporation supports his research by donating a Titan Xp graphics card. His research covers a wide range of topics such as Augmented and Virtual Reality, Computer Vision, Image and Video Processing, Image Analysis, and Machine Learning.
1. CDM 3114 - Graphic Design and Visual Communication
2. CDM 4255 - Mobile Digital Media and Diffusible Computation
3. CDM 5134 - Interactive Multimedia
4. CDM 5294 - Theory and Design of 3D Graphics for Virtual Environments
5. CDM 6115 - Theory and Design of Animation
6. CDM 8245 - Theory and Design of Virtual and Augmented Reality Applications
• Postgraduate Program (M.Sc.) in “Gaming and Multimedia Application Development”
1. Digital Multimedia Processing
2. Virtual and Augmented Reality
• Interdepartmental Postgraduate Program (M.Sc.) in “Educational Sciences: Training teachers in innovative approaches to teaching and learning”
1. Didactic Utilization of ICT in Education